TU B’SHVAT CEREMONY
Many thanks to Grade Six and Mrs Nell for a lovely Tu B’Shvat Ceremony. Many thanks also to Mr and Mrs Kably, the Cohen family and all the parents for attending. This was a very special ceremony.
I would like to welcome Mudikani Madzinga an ex-pupil, as a gap-year student for the first two terms. We hope she will have an enjoyable time back at school!
WHAT MAKES A GOOD READER – INTERNATIONAL FINDINGS FROM PIRLS 2016
Many thanks to Ms Stoffelsma for sending me a copy of this report. It makes very interesting reading and includes the following:-
- Fifty countries participated in the PIRLS 2016 international assessment of reading comprehension at the fourth grade.
- The Russian Federation and Singapore had the highest reading achievement on average.
- These students could locate and reproduce ideas and information from text and make straight forward inferences.
- There are more good readers now than there were 15 years ago.
- More girls than boys are good readers.
- Good readers have home environments that support literacy learning.
- Parents are students’ first teachers, therefore parents who enjoy reading encourage their children to read.
- A higher sense of school belonging was related to higher average reading achievement.
- Good readers attended safe schools.
- Good readers attended school regularly and are not tired or hungry.
- Good readers had positive attitudes towards reading.
- It was however alarming that about one fifth of the children were not confident about their own reading abilities.
SHARON SCHOOL OPEN DAY
Friday 9 February 9.00 am – all new interested parents are welcome to attend. Many thanks to Mrs Tanya Adam and Mr George Kachambwa for all their efforts on creating the posters.
SHARON SCHOOL INVITATIONAL CROSS-COUNTRY
Friday 9 February 1.30 pm.
Good luck to all the runners. Just a reminder – the trials for these events are completed at the practices usually on the Monday, before the event. Seniors – 2.30 pm – 3.30 pm; Juniors 3.30 pm – 4.30 pm.
Thank you to those parents who have already sent in a packet of biscuits. To those who have not, please we would appreciate a packet of biscuits from each child for home match refreshments and if you are able to provide a plate of eats for parents/coaches at home games, this would be most welcome.
This is open every Wednesday from 12.00 noon to 1.00 pm. Should you have any queries please contact Robyn Weare on +263774073186 firstname.lastname@example.org
A reminder of the website which can be accessed on www.sharonschool.org. You can view information and up-dated photos of your children and school life.
Mrs S P Ellis