SHARON SCHOOL – SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
NAME: The name of the association shall be –
SHARONSCHOOL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
The objects of the committee shall be
1. In all ways to further the interest and welfare of SharonSchool and its pupils.
2. To co-operate with the Sharon School Board or its duly appointed committees and the principal and staff of the school in building up the prestige and traditional background of the school.
3. To provide cultural, recreational and social activities for the members and to organize whatever functions that may be necessary for such activities
4. To donate shields, cups, trophies and prizes for competition by the pupils of the school
5. To provide assistance when required for activities of the school whether of a sporting or educational nature
6. To assist and co-operate with the Sharon School Board, Principal and staff of the school in carrying out social work and rendering benevolent services pertaining to the welfare of the pupils of the school should such be deemed necessary
7. To collect funds and accept any gifts or donations and to organize any functions or fund raising activity for the purpose of furthering any of the objects set forth above and to utilize such funds for creating and improving academic, social, sporting or recreational facilities at the school to develop, lay out and maintain gardens and sports grounds, to provide accessory equipment for sports, physical training, recreation and provide and subsidize libraries and other cultural amenities.
8. To co-operate with any other body having objects similar either wholly or in part with the above.
1. All parents and/or guardians of pupils enrolled as scholars at the school shall be eligible for membership of the association and shall be eligible for election to the offices of Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer or members of the committee.
2. The Principal and all members of staff shall be ex officio members.
3. The members may, at their discretion, at any General Meeting, elect Honorary Presidents, Patrons, or life members of the Association.
The committee shall be entitled to levy a subscription on all members other than ex officio or life members provided such subscription shall not exceed 50c per annum
1. The management and conduct of the affairs of the committee shall be vested in a Committee consisting of a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and seven members plus the Principal and one member of the staff who shall be elected by the staff, and a representative of the school board.
2. The committee shall hold office until the termination of the AGM succeeding its election.
3. The committee shall have the power to co-opt up to 3 additional members to serve on the committee for its period of office or for such shorter period as it may determine and shall have the power to co-opt as many members for such period as it may deem necessary for any specific purpose.
4. For the purpose of holding a committee meeting a quorum shall consist of six members of the committee.
5. The duties of any committee or sub-committee formed by the Association are to carry out all or any of the objects set forth above.
6. The committee has power to regulate, manage and control the finances and assets of the Association and to pay any liabilities which may be incurred in the carrying out of the objects of the Association.
7. A minimum of one meeting shall be held in each school term.
8. The committee shall have the power to open and operate a banking account or an account with a Building Society or financial institution and to deposit therein all funds collected by, or donated to, the committee. Any cheques drawn on the account shall be signed by two members of the committee who have been duly authorized to sign.
9. The committee shall have powers to appoint sub-committees and to delegate to them all such powers and duties as it may deem fit.
10. The duties of the executive members shall be as follows:
a. The Chairman shall preside at all General and/or committee meetings of the committee and shall be an ex officio member of any sub committee.
b. In the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman shall preside at all General and/or committee meetings of the Association.
c. The Secretary shall keep a record of all meetings of the Association, and shall carry out such duties as may be assigned to them by the Association.
d. The Treasurer shall have charge of the funds and shall keep such books as are required, and shall pay accounts and make such disbursements as may be necessary.
11. The committee shall have the power to replace any members missing more than three consecutive committee meetings without an apology being given.
1. An Annual General Meeting of which at least 14 days notice has been given shall be held not later than six weeks after the commencement of the first term of the year but the committee may call, on giving at least 14 days notice, General Meetings, which shall be called Extraordinary General Meetings.
2. The agenda for the AGM shall include the following items:
a. To confirm the minutes of the previous AGM and any special meetings held during the year
b. To receive and consider the Chairman’s report of the past years work
c. To receive and consider the financial report of the past year
d. To elect officers and members of the committee for the ensuing year and to elect the required number of SDC member to the Development committee
e. To consider resolutions of which notice has been given them by members of the association
f. To transact any other business which may be transacted at a General Meeting
3. All notices of motion shall be submitted to the secretary in writing not later than the second week of the first term in each calendar year, and such notice of motion shall be included in the notices to members convening the meeting.
4. The members may requisition an Extraordinary Meeting of which notice must be given in writing to the secretary, be signed by at least 20 members of the Association and shall give the reasons for which such a meeting has been called. Such Extraordinary meetings shall be called by the Chairman and be held within 30 days of receipt of the said requisition, and shall be convened by means of circulars, giving at least 14 days notice.
5. The quorum for any general meeting shall be 20 members and if no quorum is present, the meeting shall stand adjourned to a date determined by the Chairman not later than one month from the date of the meeting and the members then present shall form a quorum.
6. Every member of the association shall have the right to vote at AGM and EGM. Voting shall be by show of hands but the Chairman or the members may, if so resolved, require voting to take place by secret ballot.
7. The committee shall have the right to call a special General Meeting of which 7 days’ notice shall be given.
ALTERATION TO CONSTITUTION:
This constitution may be changed and any of its provisions altered if the resolution proposing such change or alteration be passed by not less than two-thirds majority of members present at any General Meeting of which at least 14 days’ notice of the proposed change or alteration has been given.
The committee shall be an independent Legal person, and shall have an existence and succession apart from the members which constitute it.